DRIFTING BACK OFF TO DREAM LAND
If I go to bed around ten it is not uncommon for me to wake up around two or three in the morning, my mind wide awake, different thoughts running around inside my head, the mental to-do lists start to open up, and all the while I’m willing for everything to shut down again so I can drift back off to dream land. I think it is safe to say that we have all suffered through a few unexpected early morning wake ups. I know from personal experience that the hours never tick by as fast as when you are trying to go back to sleep just to catch an hour or two more shut eye.
Most of the time when I wake up in the early morning hours I try to drink some water, take a few deep breathes, read a not so thrilling book, and try to unwind again so I can be fortunate enough to drift back off to sleep. However, in those early morning hours it is far to tempting to commit the crime of checking emails and scroll through your facebook, which in turn causes you to become more alert and wide awake.
In the hope of avoiding the ultimate no-no of checking your phone in the middle of the night and to hopefully help you drift back off to dream land a little sooner here are a few tips that just might help…
1. Don’t Look At The Clock// checking the clocking only causes you to become more distress about being awake
2. Breathe In, Breathe Out// starting with your toes and working your way up try to relaxing each muscle and do some calm, deep breathing
3. Get Out Of Bed// this may sound counter productive, but if you feel that 20 or more minutes has passed go into another room and listen to some music and/or read a book. Once you feel yourself getting tired go back to bed and close your eyes
4. No Lights// make sure there are not any lights on that might be keeping you awake. The brighter the room the more alert you will become
5. Comfortable Sleeping Environment// make sure the temperature of your room is not too hot or too cold, and make sure that you have a comfortable pillow
What Are Your Tips For Drifting Back Off To Dream Land?