Monday, October 16, 2017

Girl's Guide To Buying Wine

Let me just start off by saying that I am most definitely that basic white girl that will order white wine, more specifically Savant Blanc from New Zealand, or Rosé 99% of the time. The other 1% I will get wild and crazy and order a red wine {which I know nothing about} when it is super cold outside to go with pasta or a steak. For today’s post Peter Minkoff is guest posting and giving up all a crash course in how to pick out a nice wine and an occasion appropriate wine.
 Whether you’re a regular dinner-party host or just someone who enjoys a good glass of wine at the end of a stressful day, you’re already well-aware that picking out whichever wine is available at your regular store just doesn’t cut it anymore. If you’re going to truly enjoy wine, and share that enjoyment with your guests and friends, you need to pick up a lesson or two on buying truly good wine. Aside from tasting better, good wine is also less likely to give you a hangover, and that’s always a plus. Therefore, we have created a beginners guide to wine so you can always have an enjoyable evening, and even throw some knowledge at the next party.

Know the difference
The main difference between red and white wine is the fermentation process. The grapes are actually the same (despite popular belief), but unlike red wines, white wines are fermented with the skin off, hence the difference in color. In addition to that, white wines have a shorter fermentation process which takes anywhere from three to six months, while with red the process can take from six to twelve months. However, not all wines are made equal.

Which one to choose?

Since all the health properties of wine come from the skin and the seeds, it could be said that red wine is healthier for you. This is a general rule, because the actual health benefits of wine depend on three things: dryness, level of alcohol and higher polyphenol content. Dryer wines have smaller carbohydrate content, which is automatically better, as well as a lower alcohol level. However, the most important health property stems from higher polyphenol levels as these inhibit cholesterol plaque in blood vessels. Still, it’s difficult for a beginner to know which wine has these properties so it’s always a good idea to go to a specialized liquor store where a true connoisseur will help you in your selection, at least in the beginning, until you get the hang of it. Take a cue from Australians – Aussie girls always drink great wine and it helps that there is always a good bottle-o in Sydney and other bigger cities where professionals can help steer you in the right direction.

Party wine!

If you’re throwing a party, your main job is to cater to every taste. That calls for a variety of wines that will go well with the food. For instance, at the beginning of the evening, you can go with French Pinot Gris, which is a touch more expensive but makes for a great aperitif, along with champagne, but the bubbly will cost you a little extra. Now, when it comes to dinner wines, your best bet is to go with wines that won’t overwhelm the food. The best white for the job are Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. As far as the red family goes, your choice should be narrowed down to either Cabernet Sauvignons from California and Syrahs from Australia. If you’re a perfectionist, make sure to know your glasses. Red calls for those with a bigger bowl that allow room for swirling while white can be served in a smaller one. Still, if you only have one kind, it’s not a mistake to serve both wines in them. When the time for dessert comes, bust out the sweeter wines because the sweetness of the wine should match that of the dessert, otherwise it can taste a little flat. Port is great for nutty desserts, and as far as sparkly wines go, look for the sign ‘demi–sec’ on the label – that means the wine is sweeter.